Wilber, Nebraska: Czech Capital of the USA!



Nebraska is a diverse state rich in multi-ethnic cultures! This week, I attended a Czech Festival in rural Wilber, Nebraska! I know very little about the Czech culture and was very excited to learn more about their customs. Prior to my visit I researched information about the town and pondered why this town was selected to host a festival. I was surprised to discover that the tiny rural town, "...was declared the official Czech capital of the United States..."(Wikipedia 2017). 

Upon arrival, I was greeted by friendly faces proudly wearing traditional costumes! Many of whom were happy to share their home-made outfits with me! I also spoke with some of the town members to get a feel for what this festival means to the community!










 As I roamed through the festival I smelled the aromatic distinct scent of fresh baked goods!  To my delight as I followed the scent trail, I discovered Kolaches, a "warm, delicious, slightly sweet fresh-baked pastry traditionally filled with sausage, cheese, or fruit"(KolacheFactory.com 2017). This pastry is a staple of the Czech culture passed down generation after generation and boy is it delicious! I also learned that 1300 dozen of these decadent delights were made in preparation for this year's festivity!






The festival also showcased some traditional Czech inspired tunes! One thing for certain, this town loves to dance, drink, and be merry!



All in all the festival was a fun time for all! Even though I only got a brief insight into the Czech culture, I'm happy to have had the opportunity to do so! If you would like to share more information about Czech traditions, please feel free to share your thoughts as I'd love to learn more!


Comments

Popular Posts